It’s important to know what to do to make sure you don’t get overlooked for a promotion when the opportunity presents itself. Our 10 tips featured here will put you on a path to getting your next promotion faster by highlighting strategies such as being proactive, displaying strong initiative to decision makers, and showcasing your leadership qualities.
(1) Do the job you want first, then get it.
This has been a personal philosophy of mine throughout my career. I always started doing the job above me before I was promoted into it. I never undermined my boss, but when it came time for my boss to be promoted, it made my boss’s promotion come easier knowing I was there to take on her/his job.
(2) Take initiative.
Don’t wait for things to happen. Said another way… Go make stuff happen. Don’t always wait for permission. Sometimes asking for forgiveness is the right path since it means you got something done.
(3) Select a department that will showcase your strengths.
Don’t be a salmon swimming upstream every time, unless you actually like fighting with management all the time. Find a profession and a culture that complements your work style so you shine and accelerate faster.
(4) Make your boss’s priorities your priorities.
Know your boss’s goals and do the work to support him/her. Period.
(5) Make your boss look good.
Promote your boss’s achievements. Be an awesome subordinate (whether or not your boss contributes to your success). Many times, if your boss knows you have their back, they will promote you as they go up.
(6) Train / Mentor others without having to be asked.
When it comes time to look for those with experience bringing others up through the ranks, when you have mentored others without being asked, you can say you have experience. Goes back to doing the job you want, then getting it.
(7) Be the go-to person people like to work with to get stuff done on challenging projects.
Who is the person in your department/company people go to for answers and getting things done? If it’s not you, you have work to do.
(8) Fix critical issues no one else wants to tackle.
Be the hero.
(9) Don’t lose sight of the long-term strategy while working on short-term projects.
Show that you have the ability to look long term to demonstrate you have strategic vision. Don’t get lost in the short-term details or you can get pegged as a good doer and not as an effective leader, if that’s your goal.
(10) Prioritize your ascent.
Don’t leave it to chance. No one will promote you if you are waiting around for it. Make time to develop your skills. Ask what it takes to get promoted and do that as your plan. Don’t wait to be chosen. Ensure you are the clear choice when the time arises.
Part of prioritizing your ascent is having your resume ready, your profile updated and your network primed and ready to help you.
If you feel that your:
– Resume isn’t ready.
– LinkedIn Profile is not updated.
– Network hasn’t heard from you in a long while (and it’s certainly not primed to help you).
Then you want to prioritize yourself and take the first step in choosing to hire us to help you get there. Choose the way you want us to help you get promoted:
Will you be one who steps ahead of the pack to shine and win?
You can, by choosing here:https://chameleonresumes.com/executive-resume-writing-services/
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.