2015 Healthcare Executive Resume Trends
The American Hospital Association recently published their 2015 Environmental Scan which outlines many of the changes and challenges facing the healthcare industry in the coming year.
From hospital mergers to new laws going into effect and affecting the environment, this sheds an interesting light on what healthcare executives need to know in order to prepare their resumes.
Address financial, infrastructure and HR issues with previous work history examples.
It’s no secret that the healthcare industry is currently facing a lot of changes and challenges. With new healthcare laws going into effect it is dramatically changing the landscape. Furthermore, issues that have been around for a while are still present in many ways.
The bad news is it seems healthcare executives have their work cut out for them. The good news is that if you can address some of industry issues within your resume you’ll have a pretty good shot at getting called in for an interview.
What do we mean by this? For instance, revenue is a major problem in the healthcare field. Medicine is not cheap and budgets are not flowing for many reasons.
This would be a good opportunity to show how you’ve been able to manage budgets and make do with little revenue. Use your resume to show how you can make a dollar work.
Here are some other challenges currently affecting the healthcare industry. These are changes that perhaps you have experience dealing with. As such it would be important to mention this on your resume using the STAR or Achievements Based method.
• Operating margins are continue to narrow.
• The industry has lost jobs and the private sector has stalled.
• Building a robust IT infrastructure has been a challenge making data exchange between healthcare providers difficult.
Cultivate a forward thinking approach.
While most industries change rapidly, nowhere is this more true than in healthcare. Between technological advances and legislative policies it can be a challenge to always stay on top of everything.
However, if you are in the market for a new job as a healthcare executive it is imperative that you are able to express the fact that you are knowledgeable about the latest trends in the industry.
According to the 2015 Environmental Scan here are some of the latest trends and changes in healthcare:
• Mobile healthcare is on the rise.
• Hospitals are becoming massive health systems.
• Healthcare is moving toward “personalized healthcare” thanks to an increased understanding of the human genome.
Again, any experience in dealing with the aforementioned should be addressed on the resume.
For example, implementing new technological advances in personalized healthcare would show recruiters that you are on top of your game and forward thinking.
Showcase your leadership qualities.
According to the report, one of the biggest challenges facing the healthcare industry is CEO turnover.
Additionally, getting new initiatives in place, such as IT infrastructure or research, has been a challenge do to the lack of leadership qualities among people in positions of power.
As such the industry is in dire need of individuals who can take charge and lead a mass group of people into action.
Using action verbs on your resume, such as “spearheaded” or “streamlined”, is a fantastic way of demonstrating that you’ve successfully led the charge on initiatives in the past.
Showing examples of how you led and managed a large group of people is also a solid way of showing you can get medical staff into action.
Make sure to view our Chief Medical Officer resume sample to get a better idea of how to implement all of these strategies.
For more Healthcare executive resume trends and changes and challenges facing the healthcare industry check out the entire report here.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.