Random people on LinkedIn reach out to me via email to ask how to handle the ‘What is your greatest weakness?’ interview question.
Without knowing someone, this is virtually impossible to answer in an email.
Depending on what your actual weaknesses and target roles are, this answer can vary widely between people when it is an authentic answer.
However, here are some angles to take when formulating your answer:
(1) Pick a weakness that is not related to your job. For instance, you shouldn’t say your weakness is working with numbers if you are applying for an accounting job 😉
(2) Choose something that recently used to be a weakness and couple the answer with how you rectified this deficiency. Demonstrate how you addressed it. When using this tactic, be prepared with a current, unresolved weakness, in case a follow-up is asked.
(3) Select a weakness that is current, but is only related to your progression in your career, such as public speaking or training others. Outline how you are engaging in professional development to shore up this skill and improve your performance in this area so you can continue to advance once it is mastered.
Whatever your answer or angle, I always suggest the following on how you should address your weaknesses:
Ask for help, work with others who have your weakness as a strength, courses, training, or mentorship – there are some examples of actions you can take to address the weakness.
Want more training on how to prepare for this common interview question and others?
You will be so glad you did. You will finally be able to answer this question and all the other questions you always hope they don’t ask.
How cool would THAT be?!?
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.