How do you handle your employment status when you’re between positions?
An issue you may run into when you’re on the hunt for a new position is your “status” dropping because you don’t have a “to present” position on your resume or LinkedIn profile.
Simply by having an end date on your last position can be enough to drop you from “All Star” to “Alright, I’ll pass” in the eyes of recruiters and hiring managers.
Not only can your desirability drop, but your profile may be difficult to find, and ranked lower in search results.
So, if you’re between positions, how do you ethically “boost” your status without lying?
Simple, you do the following (which applies to both your resume and LinkedIn profile):
1. Use a “To Present” position (I know, I know…I’ll explain)
For example, list your title as “Seeking Chief Financial Officer l VP of Finance Position.” The company name section can then reflect the industries you are pursuing, and you can list conferences, networking events, and professional association meetings you’ve attended.
2. Clearly express value in your headline
For example: “Software Sales Director who increased company growth from $250M to $1.2B in revenue in 18 months.”
3. Use the “Summary” section wisely
You can use your summary to list achievements, accolades, and accomplishments, or you could flip things around and write something that answers the main question on a prospective employers mind: why should they hire you?
And of course you’ll want to finish with a clear call to action encouraging employers to get in touch with you.
What it really comes down to is how you position yourself, and present information on your resume and LinkedIn profile. As with anything, there’s a right way, and a wrong way…
If you want to do things the right way, our Ultimate Resume & LinkedIn Profile Critique package will help you bridge the gap between your resume and profile, as well as bridge the unemployment gap to get you gainfully employed.
Here’s where to get it:
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.