Ever interview where the interviewer just won’t stop talking?
Good lawd… what is a job seeker to do!
There you are, listening intently to the chatty interviewer and not interrupting, like your Mamma taught you, but you can’t get a word in just life Congress can’t get a bill passed.
A true dilemma!
So what do you do when an interviewer won’t shut up, but you need to prove yourself in 45 minutes to land the job?
Here are some tactics that can allow you to slide a word, even a sentence in, and interrupt the chatty pattern to begin to shift the conversation from one-sided to two-sided:
(1) As the interviewer is talking about the job, politely interrupt with a question about the job…
(2) At a point where the interviewer talks about a challenge the department is experiencing, interrupt with a qualifying question, and then bring up a scenario where you solved that challenge.
(3) When the interviewer bring up a win, you can attempt to relate with, again, a polite interruption, showing how you had a similar win and know how gratifying it is to experience that win.
So you can interrupt politely. Show your eagerness to chat—but not by talking over the interviewer, but with questions about what they are saying to show you are listening and applying what they are telling you.
This is an easy solution to an awkward problem that can truly thwart your interview progress.
If you liked this, you will love learning the 7 steps you need to take to close on your next interview with our Interview Mastery System: http://www.chameleonresumes.com/interview-mastery-system
You’ll work with one of our Career Coaches (each one is also a former recruiter) to develop a personalized, repeatable process that you can use over and over again to prepare for interviews, land job offers and negotiate the highest compensation possible.
You will learn how to:
- Talk about your strengths and how to emphasize them during your interview
- Identify your weaknesses, and develop the answers to address concerns and portray you and your work history in the best possible light
- Transform your static work history into an effective elevator pitch
- Prepare for the common and not-so-common interview questions across a variety of potential topics
- Anticipate and field compensation questions
- Prepare your exit questions for the interview to clearly define the next steps in the hiring process
- Stay in the decision-making loop of the people doing the hiring
Get the perspective, feedback and advice you need from experts who understand the hiring process from the inside out.
Let’s do this… here is the link: http://www.chameleonresumes.com/interview-mastery-system/
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Lisa Rangel and the Chameleon Resumes team have helped over 6,000 executives and senior professionals land the 6-figure positions they deserve.
If you want to work with an elite team of former Fortune 500 recruiters, executive resume writers, and job landing experts so you can win the attention of hiring managers and land more lucrative interviews, sign up for an exploratory call so we can discuss how our 4-stage META Job Landing SystemTM can help you land your next 6-figure position.