Ever interview where the interviewer just won’t stop talking?
Good lawd… what is a job seeker to do!
There you are, listening intently to the chatty interviewer and not interrupting, like your Mamma taught you, but you can’t get a word in just life Congress can’t get a bill passed.
A true dilemma!
So what do you do when an interviewer won’t shut up, but you need to prove yourself in 45 minutes to land the job?
Here are some tactics that can allow you to slide a word, even a sentence in, and interrupt the chatty pattern to begin to shift the conversation from one-sided to two-sided:
(1) As the interviewer is talking about the job, politely interrupt with a question about the job…
(2) At a point where the interviewer talks about a challenge the department is experiencing, interrupt with a qualifying question, and then bring up a scenario where you solved that challenge.
(3) When the interviewer bring up a win, you can attempt to relate with, again, a polite interruption, showing how you had a similar win and know how gratifying it is to experience that win.
So you can interrupt politely. Show your eagerness to chat—but not by talking over the interviewer, but with questions about what they are saying to show you are listening and applying what they are telling you.
This is an easy solution to an awkward problem that can truly thwart your interview progress.
If you liked this, you will love learning the 7 steps you need to take to close on your next interview with our Interview Mastery System: https://chameleonresumes.com/interview-mastery-system
You’ll work with one of our Career Coaches (each one is also a former recruiter) to develop a personalized, repeatable process that you can use over and over again to prepare for interviews, land job offers and negotiate the highest compensation possible.
You will learn how to:
- Talk about your strengths and how to emphasize them during your interview
- Identify your weaknesses, and develop the answers to address concerns and portray you and your work history in the best possible light
- Transform your static work history into an effective elevator pitch
- Prepare for the common and not-so-common interview questions across a variety of potential topics
- Anticipate and field compensation questions
- Prepare your exit questions for the interview to clearly define the next steps in the hiring process
- Stay in the decision-making loop of the people doing the hiring
Get the perspective, feedback and advice you need from experts who understand the hiring process from the inside out.
Let’s do this… here is the link: https://chameleonresumes.com/interview-mastery-system/
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.