The negative self-talk I hear executives use to talk to themselves is often mentally destructive.
Most negative self-talk in the context of a job search comes in the following 6 forms:
* “He/she is too busy to talk to me.”
* “What I have done is not important enough to reach out.”
* “I have nothing to say on social media.”
* “My credentials should speak for themselves. I shouldn’t have to say it.”
* “I sell myself best in person. I just need the meeting.”
* “I hate networking.”
If this resonates with you, ask yourself, would you talk to your co-worker, boss, client, friend or family member this way?
Then why do you talk to yourself in this way.
Be nicer to yourself.
Replace your negative self-talk with the pragmatic truths below:
(To be clear, these are not positive affirmations…I know I will lose you with those…heck, I will lose me with those LOL…these are pragmatic truths to say to yourself)
* People want to hear from you.
* What you have done is of interest to the right audience.
* You have something to offer people on social media.
* Having to talk about your great credentials does not mean your credentials are not great! Some people just need the opportunity to learn about how great you are.
* If you can sell yourself in person, you can learn how to fabulously present yourself in other mediums. Give yourself time to learn how.
* I kinda hate networking, too. 🙂 However, we have come up with a way to make it doable. It will never probably be a great pleasure for you to do…but if we can make it easier, wouldn’t you want to learn?
Take care of you and get the support you need. Unearth the verbal trash inside your own head and get the help you need to launch an effective job search.
Start your job search off on the right foot by attending my “How to Design a Powerful Executive Resume to Land Interviews and Get the Offer!” no-cost training session.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.