Being Stuck Holding You Back?
I have talked to dozens of job seekers recently about being stuck.
They are waiting until they perfect the language on their resume before they send it out, and they keep asking for feedback.
And they get different feedback every time, so they are in constant resume editing mode, but not contacting anyone for interviews.
They want precisely the right list of contacts to reach out to before they start reaching out.
They want to have interview preparation down pat, yet they haven’t sent out a resume.
This is one of the bigger ‘being stuck’ scenarios: One person is worried about getting an offer at a company he is not entirely sure he likes, where the recruiter called with interest stemming from his LinkedIn profile.
Except he hasn’t called back or submitted a resume yet.
Although I feel honored to hear these stories, it pains me to hear them.
I could feel the pain and frustration experienced as each person told me their story.
Assuming things had to be perfect before moving forward.
Worrying about a problem they didn’t have yet.
We want progress – not perfection.
Perfection is paralyzing.
And it’s subjective.
You are chasing something that is different for everyone.
And here is the best news.
You are already perfect.
Stand with that knowledge.
Send what you have.
Reach out to one person to start.
And then the next person.
Do as much research as you can to prepare for an interview and know that you, as you are, are enough.
If you get an offer you don’t resonate with, you can always turn it down.
That’s a great problem to have.
I tell my kids: You are always going to have problems.
So get good problems and not bad problems.
An offer you don’t want is better than no offer.
Some interview prep with a confident stance is better than too much prep and stressed out or no prep at all.
Sending out an awesome resume and making connections is better than making your resume perfect (whatever that is) and not chatting with anyone.
You rid yourself of being stuck by doing what’s in front of you imperfectly.
Not to pull the Nike tagline, but “Just Do It!”
And if you need some hand holding to do it, hire us to help you figure out what to do next and how to do it:
Get our Ultimate Job Search Plan.
Let us help you get unstuck.
Getting unstuck starts with one action.
This is the action to take: The Ultimate Job Search Plan
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.