“But That Doesn’t Sound Like Me”
“But That Doesn’t Sound Like Me” was feedback from an actual client when we presented her resume draft to her back in January.
When we asked her in the edit session, “What specifically doesn’t sound like you? Can you give us an example so we can edit and work through it accordingly?”
Her reply, “Well, it’s the whole document. It just sounds too much like a braggart.”
We advised, “OK. Let’s go through it line by line. Let’s make sure we haven’t overstated any of the details and ensure it’s accurate to what you have accomplished.”
She obliged. And we went through the document on the phone with her line by line.
We validated each achievement as something she actually did. In 2 cases, we actually understated her accomplishment… she actually achieved more than what we wrote.
So after the entire document was reviewed, we asked her, “So what do you want to remove to make sure it doesn’t sound too ‘braggy’?”
“Nothing,” she said. “Let’s leave it alone.”
Basically, our client wasn’t comfortable seeing just how awesome she was on paper.
Initially, it was too much and, in her mind, we had to be wrong.
But we weren’t wrong. She WAS awesome.
She needed us to show her the facts that came from her own background.
And that my friends, is the bonus of working and learning from a team like us.
When you can’t see how awesome you are, you put forth a bland, don’t-shine-to-bright version of yourself on paper.
When you learn from our experience, we hold you accountable to your awesomeness.
We help you own it.
So look, if you want to write a resume that truly shines, and you want to learn from a resume writing team with over 100 years of combined experience writing resumes then join me for our free “shine bright like a diamond” Resume Writing Master Class on Tues. 8/10 or Thurs. 8/12/2021.
This training is an hour (+ Q&A), is completely free, and will show you how to write a resume that makes you jump off the page to any key decision maker.
You have to register for this training and space is limited.
Reserve your spot for the session of your choice using the following link:
Looking forward to seeing you on the training,
Lisa Rangel – Chameleon Resumes
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.