Common, But Unspoken, Resume Keyword Problems
Everyone wants the magic set of keywords.
Jim was no different. A successful Director of Marketing who has had a rough 7 months of job searching, despite a 21-year track record of impressive wins at equally impressive companies.
“I think I don’t have the right keywords,” he told me.
“Well, what job are you looking to do, Jim?” I asked.
“That’s just it. I don’t want to do marketing for medical device companies any longer. Instead, I want to shift gears and work in strategic consulting. But when I send my resume, I’m not getting any hits. I think it’s the keywords.”
My response: “You might be right… Your resume is written for marketing roles, since you had marketing roles, so prospective employers that receive your resume probably think you want a marketing role, despite sending it for a strategy role. You see the problem?”
Jim: “Wow… Yeah… So keywords won’t work for me?”
Me: “You can’t be dependent on keyword strategies when doing a career change. When you are doing a career change, the keyword strategy is flawed and ineffective. How? You don’t have the needed keywords inherently in your background (company names, titles, achievements) for the new job target. You do, however, have keywords inherently in your background for what you used to do. Hence the struggle.”
Jim: “So what can I do?”
What Jim, and other job seekers like Jim doing a career or industry change, is connect the dots for the resume reader on their resume.
Show transferable skills instead of bloating a resume with irrelevant-to-your-background-
How? If you want to learn how to write a resume for a career changer, like we successfully did for Jim, attend my No-Cost Webinar training.
Jim landed his new career job recently, and we will cover the strategies we used for him during our no-cost “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land 6-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!” Master Class training on Tues. 9/7/2021 or Thurs. 9/9/2021.
Click the link below to reserve your spot for the session of your choice:
After my resume writing training session, you will know how to:
**Remove the mystery on how to handle a career changer resume and other employment scenarios.
**Connect the dots for the hiring manager to show you have the skills to solve their problems and deserve an interview call.
**Format your skills and achievements to inspire recruiters to call you for an interview.
You won’t want to miss this!
Take the first step and sign up for my resume writing training here: https://chamres.com/97921BL
See you there!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.