Do It Yourself or Delegate?
There are many times in life when you have to decide whether you want to bite the bullet and do something yourself, or delegate it to someone else and pay. Things like:
- Cleaning your house
- Doing your nails and hair
- Doing your taxes
- Home renovations
You could easily hire someone to take care of those things for you, but there’s always a part of you that thinks:
“Hmmm… I bet I could do it myself just as well”.
Well, I can tell you that there is no way that I could color my hair or do renovations nearly as well as a paid expert could.
I could certainly try but I’d end up with patchy hair and a leaky shower. I don’t have the right tools, nor the quality of tools at my disposal. I certainly don’t have a passion for it.
The same goes for resume writing.
I am sure you can Google, “how to write a resume” and come up with a million blogs and videos that show you how to write a do it yourself resume. Of course, each blog will tell you something different and each video will have a different spin.
I am sure you can throw together a word document that details your last 20 years of work, but it’s likely you won’t really know which role was the most influential or the language and layout needed for an effective modern-day resume.
Yes, I am sure you could save yourself thousands of dollars… but at what cost?
Is ending up with a confusing, dated, unfocused resume worth it?
Now, I do have a way to help you self-evaluate your resume writing needs. I have a list of questions you can ask yourself when it comes to investing in this service. I developed this list after talking with job seekers for the last 13 years so take a look and see where you land.
People who can benefit from hiring a professional resume writer typically have one or more of the following conditions that lend itself to benefiting from such a move:
— Don’t have time to write it, even if they know how to do it.
— Don’t want to write it, even though they have time and know what to do. They choose not to spend their time doing this activity.
— Typically write well for many other topics but find themselves stuck when writing about themselves.
— Can interview well and talk about their experience effortlessly, but struggle to put words on paper.
— Want to use modern resume writing techniques and strategies and don’t want to spend the time learning how to do it write it themselves.
— Tried writing it themselves and they are not landing interviews. So they seek out professional help for better results.
If any of these reasons apply to you, you could benefit from hiring a professional.
If you can land a job 2-4 weeks earlier using a professional, then the cost is more than covered by the additional weeks of salary (if unemployed) or raise (if employed but lands a higher paying job). That’s the cost analysis to make.
So think today about the above list. Where do you fall? What makes sense for you?
P.S: Whenever you are ready to start your job search and land more interviews, booking an exploratory call with our job landing specialists is the best way I can help you. Go here to book your complimentary call: https://chameleonresumes.com/contact-us/
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.