Recently, one of our ChamTribers wrote to me saying, “Everyone says it’s my age, so it doesn’t matter what I write” as the reason why his 8-page resume wasn’t getting any traction.
Or… I don’t know… it could be the 8-page resume.
He told me he is 50+ years old… so it must be his age, he says.
Here is my twist on the classic Henry Ford quote, “If you think you’re not getting interview calls because of your age, you’re right.”
** If you are going back so far on your resume that you have 8 pages, you are showing your age.
** If you have 2+ pages to your resume, chances are you overcompensating with too much information to mask your age.
** If you start your resume with something like “Over 30+ years of experience…” you are leading with age.
Seniority doesn’t win in an achievement-seeking world.
Yet here is Don.
He is over 50 years old, too. And here is what he said after landing his dream job:
He is over 50 and age didn’t get in the way of him landing his dream job.
So if you want to learn how to write an achievement-based resume that doesn’t lead, bleed or depend on age to show how qualified you are, join me on Tues. 9/7/2021 or Thurs. 9/9/2021 when I will be presenting my “How to Design A Powerful Resume to Land 6-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!“ Master Class where we cover this topic in detail.
Here is the link to reserve your spot for the session of your choice:
Words matter at any age. And they matter even more when you are an older job seeker, and you want to be considered on merit.
So join me and learn how to fix this.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.