5 Tips for Getting Your Resume to the Hiring Manager’s Desk
Getting your resume to the hiring manager’s desk is a modern day, professional equivalent of the quest for the Holy Grail (interview) to some. However, when you follow these 5 tips to improve your ability to get your resume in the hands of a hiring manager, you will see light at the end of the tunnel and the dream job interview within your reach.
1. Find keywords pertaining to your target role and insert them naturally in the content on your resume, LinkedIn profile and other social media profiles that you use for professional purposes. Hiring managers may find you on social media and then ask for your resume to learn more about you—if you are able to be found and can visually reinforce your qualifications with keywords and achievements.
2. Do a company search on LinkedIn and see how you are connected to the target company. Ask for an introduction through your first, second or third degree connections to the company employee (ideally the hiring manager) directly.
3. Research corporate and college alumni connections using other social media channels, online college/corporate alumni databases you have access to as an alum and good old fashion internet research (Boolean searches) looking for alumni at target companies and leverage those connections, where possible.
4. Connect outside of ATS and the formal HR department. Search and find a potential manager for the target position you are seeking and introduce yourself to the manager directly. Indicate that you applied through the standard HR and ATS processes and wanted to take extra steps to convey your interest and promote your credentials.
5. Mix online and offline techniques. Once you find someone to connect with at the company using online research, consider the following ways to connect and take it offline: in-person meeting, find a connection in your network, go to meeting/conference/event, set up a phone call, send a snail-mail letter.
While none of these tactics on their own are the magic elixir to getting your resume to the hiring manager each and every time, a combination of these tactics or simply trying the same ones repeatedly can yield the results you want. Resiliency and persistence are the best ways to reach a hiring manager. #nevergiveup
Join us for our No-Cost resume masterclass online training session where we will share even more insider tips on how to get noticed by hiring managers and key decision makers for the positions you’re targeting.
Register for the session of your choice here:
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.