Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you.
– Aldous Huxley
Everyone thinks they are unique.
Here are three examples of calls I had this past week with prospects:
“I have a unique situation. My dream job appeared! I am interviewing in two days and I don’t have a resume – can you help me?”
Answer: Yes, but you are not unique. I had one other call just this week with someone who had a dream job interview fall into their lap and they weren’t ready either.
“My situation is different. I was promised a position under the newly merged company, since I had built up the previous two products we had. I stopped my interviewing and focused on the new job coming, and they just pulled it from me. They told me I don’t have a place in the newly merged firm. So now I am scrambling to find something. Can you help me?”
Answer: Yes, we can help. However, channeling my inner Yoda, I am here to tell you “Unique, you are not.” I had two other people this past week reach out to tell me that their company’s plans for them shifted and they are not getting what they were promised.
“You are not going to believe what happened to me. Company closed down our location with no notice. Just like that… I mean have you ever heard of such a thing?”
Answer: Yes, I have. And it is not unique. And we can help.
I can give you even more “unique” situations that people experience every day.
Here is the one thing we all have in common: We all have career setbacks.
We all have adverse experiences that we would rather not talk about at cocktail parties, and that we certainly prefer interviewers do not ask about on an interview.
Every single one of us.
Here is where you make yourself unique: It is what you DO with that experience, that sets you apart from the crowd.
Yes, whatever lemonade you make from those lemons is what draws the crowd of lemonade drinkers who want to buy the yummy drink you are selling.
So to make the most of your situation, and spin it into a positive story to attract the jobs you want. Learn how to write your resume and LinkedIn profile and use the right job search tactics – ensuring that you will attract thirsty employers wanting your lemonade.
Get your copy of our Get Hired Fast resources now:
February is almost over. Have you focused on your job search the way you want to?
Well, here is your chance to focus on you: $297 GET HIRED FAST PACKAGE
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.