How to Get a Response from Job Board Apps
Recently it seems I’ve had to say the same piece of advice over and over again and of course nobody wants to hear it.
Maybe it’s the time of year but it feels like every second question is from someone wondering how to get responses from the many, many, many job board applications they have sent in.
These job searchers have been holed up with their laptops, applying to job after job on multiple different job landing sites. Frantically refreshing their email wondering if they got a response yet…
… but there is really only one way to get a response from a job board application…
… oh wait.. no there isn’t.
The chances of actually getting a response from a job board are slim. Only 20%-25% of hires happen via these boards. And recruiters use job boards only when their networking hasn’t produced the right candidate or their company hiring policy says they have to publicly post it—even though they already have someone earmarked for the job.
In essence, this effectively makes job boards one of the worst ways to find a new job.
So, I urge you to take a break from job board applications. Instead, I want you to focus on building your connections and actively reaching out.
If the job boards aren’t working for you, try this new tactic instead:
Reach out to the hiring managers that you might report to if you worked at that company directly.
If you can start forging new connections with the people you will ultimately be working for (and with) this is going to help you get hired a lot faster than if you just passively apply online.
Maybe your name will ring a bell, maybe it will inspire them to view your profile. Maybe you will get a response.
For the next few weeks focus on reaching out to hiring managers and see what happens. You can go back to the job boards later. They will still be there.
Additionally, if you want to learn how to write your resume for the way 70% of hires happen, please join me for my upcoming “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land 6-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!“ Master Class on Tues. 9/7/2021 or Thurs. 9/9/2021.
This is the best thing you can do for yourself to get out of the job board/ATS black hole that leaves so many job seekers frustrated and dejected.
Reserve your spot for the session of your choice:
I hope this will spark some forward movement for you.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.