I was a scared-of-my-own-shadow, introverted recruiter in 1998.
The idea of calling someone and pitching anything scared the bejeezus out of me.
At the same time, I would remain scared forever if I didn’t learn how to sell things, ideas, or myself in some way. And life would probably suck.
So what did I do?
I took a job as a Wall Street recruiter sitting in essentially a boiler room environment – a sea of desks grouped in one big room and all of us (mostly men) smiling and dialing to get business.
I was petrified. Some days I cried in the bathroom… other days, I fought tears back while sitting at my desk.
But I listened, I practiced, and I learned.
I said stupid pitches and hung up the phone, and dialed again.
The rejection from the person on the other end of the phone each time turned my stomach.
And while doing this… I slowly came up with a process that eased the depths of emotional turbulence from the rejection and actually made me feel good at the end of the day.
Wanna know what I did to remove emotion from the rejection I experienced?
I put it in this video… let me know your thoughts below.
And if you want help with your job search, get my job landing bundle here:
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.