One of my teammates, George, forwarded me this blog post, “Why I Don’t Talk to Google Recruiters” where the author says he does not do interviews with Google’s (or Amazon’s, or other big tech companies’) recruiters who contact him via email or social media.
He is a programmer and his perspective is that he has come to learn that HR recruiters don’t know much about how to evaluate a candidate’s UX design, code or algorithms. So his response to these inquiries from the recruiters is always as follows:
“Thanks for your email. I’m very interested indeed. I have nothing against an interview. However, there is one condition: I have to be interviewed by the person I will be working for. By my future direct manager.”
He does not receive a reply often, and he is okay with that.
I can tell you that it has saved a lot of wasted time.
We suggest to our job seeking clients to identify and then reach out to the potential hiring manager they might report to at their target company.
When you are approaching a company unsolicited and without an existing job posting, don’t start with HR.
If there is a job posting present, don’t start with HR.
Generally speaking, HR’s job is to screen applicants out.
The line manager you might report to tends to look at the fewer candidates.
The line manager tends to think, “Can this person, with his or her background, do what we need?”
So start with the line management leadership where you want to work.
Unsure about how to do that?
Let us show you proven job landing tactics.
Let us figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it.
Let us tell you what you are doing right and encourage you to keep doing it.
Start here by signing up to attend our “6 Deadly Job Search Mistakes Preventing You form Landing a Job“ training session.
Answers await you – don’t keep the answers waiting any longer…
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.