My daughter has had a specific chore the past two years: Changing the litter in the cat box once per week.
Sounds like a crappy job (see what I did there), but it takes her 45 minutes and couple of other spot clean ups and she is done for the week.
This versus the chore my son has: finish the family laundry over the weekend.
And it takes the whole weekend.
But you know, they negotiated this deal between themselves two years ago.
And they were both happy with it.
I did not intervene, even though I thought my son got the short end of the stick and my daughter walked away thinking she was the master negotiator (I will give her that credit).
Well, two years later, that deal has to change…
They are older, so they can do more chores (and they need to…I am getting tired and I have to catch up on Madam Secretary and the latest House of Cards episode!)
My son has wised up and the weekend laundry is not as interesting, now that he has bike rides to do and friends to see. “A man gets busy, you know, Mom…”
So two weeks ago we started the redefinition of chores.
Alternate the laundry weekends, add in nightly dishes, dumping of trash cans around the house, few other things…
Well, my probably-going-to-be-a lawyer/sales exec/mediator daughter is not happy with this negotiation proceeding….in the least.
“This is not how we have been doing it…We have done it all along this way and it has worked fine!” (for her, of course… 🙂 )
Enter my “Life is not fair, get over it and do the dishes” parental speech that I pulled from The “Ol’ Skool – New Ekonomy” Parenting playbook….
But here is the thing… she is 15, soon to be 16… and she does not want to change…
Adults don’t want to change either.
Adults expect that if you change your LinkedIn Profile content alone, that should bring the interview calls to them in droves.
Yeah, that worked in 2008 when there were like 45 people on LinkedIn and if you made changes to your profile the WHOLE network probably saw it (so you received a bunch of calls just from changing your profile).
But it is 2018…. there are over 500 million users now (Fortune, Apr 2017).
You need to change and do more than just be on LinkedIn to get attention.You have to do stuff on LinkedIn to get noticed in addition to having an awesome profile… It is a two part deal in today’s marketplace.
So here is where you can learn what you need to do:
Sign up for my upcoming No-Cost “How to Create Your LinkedIn Profile to Generate 6-Figure Job Interviews Faster” training session to learn how to optimize your LinkedIn profile to have hiring managers seeking you out for your dream 6-figure position!
Register here -> https://chameleonresumes.com/awlinkedinreg
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.