LinkedIn Connections: Quantity Isn’t More Important Than Quality
A will-remain-nameless job search coach recommended to get your LinkedIn connections to 500+ connections as quickly as possible.
This was a comment was posted by a follower for said-will-remain-nameless job search coaching group I moderate for LinkedIn.
The rationale given was when you have 500+ LinkedIn connections, recruiters will see that and automatically think you know how to network.
When I asked the follower who posted this tidbit of nonsense which recruiters provided proof of this concept or if the poster was a recruiter herself… I got crickets.
When I looked up the job search coach’s background, she was never in HR, corporate recruiting or search firm recruiting. Her general corporate hiring expertise seemed limited, as well.
But I’m telling you, quickly getting your LinkedIn connections to 500+ without any thought to the quality of each those connections will not make a recruiter think you are a savvy networker… and more importantly, will not get you interviews.
Arbitrarily connecting with LION’s (LinkedIn Open Networkers) that are in a different industry than you, will just leave you well connected with people from a different industry than you. Randomly connecting with Accounts Payable Clerks in Michigan won’t help you if you are looking for an SaaS sales role in Paris, France.
Quality matters. Don’t believe anyone who tells you differently.
There are many qualified, awesome, experienced job landing coaches besides me. I love collaborating with many of them and we make each other better.
However, one of my biggest pet peeves are job search coaches who become job search coaches after amassing so much information from their failed job search that they think they can teach job searching.
It’s quite the opposite.
If you want to learn what you need to do to upgrade your profile and the activities that will increase your job leads, don’t miss my next free LinkedIn Master Class, “How to Create Your LinkedIn Profile to Land 6-Figure Interviews” on Tues. 8/24/2021 at Thurs. 8/26/2021.
Reserve your spot for the session of your choice:
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.