Mining LinkedIn Connections to Land Strong Job Offers
LinkedIn is a treasure trove of hiring manager contacts waiting for job seekers to find them and connect.
You can find almost everything you will ever need searching contacts inside and outside LinkedIn.
I say “almost” since nothing is absolute. But even when LinkedIn doesn’t produce the contact you need, it gives you people who can give you a contact who can connect you to the right person.
I envision a bouncing ball going from person to person until you connect with the right person to give you what you need and put you on the right path.
The power of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th degree connections are exponential.
You may be wondering: “Wait?!? Did you say 4th or 5th degree connections, Lisa? LinkedIn only goes up to three degrees. What are you talking about?”
How do you get 4th and 5th degree LinkedIn connections?
Well, you ask your 2nd and 3rd degree connections for their connections. And then ask those connections for their connections.
That brings you to 5 degrees.
How is this helpful?
This is helpful because if you can find contacts at companies directly to reach out to, then you no longer need to be a click-addict clicking their way through resume submissions on job boards.
You can reach out to humans.
Back in 2017, Harvard Business Review ran an article about how the “friend of a friend” method of getting connected to and landing a job accounted for 17% of how hires were made from 141 members surveyed in a San Francisco job search club.
So this method is one tool of the many to use from the job landing tool box.
These tactics shouldn’t be ignored.
One way to do this is to do a connection search for individuals who have hiring manager type titles or managers who would over see the role you want. Look how you are connected and that mutual connection can help you possibly get connected to that hiring manager.
Another way is to reach out to vendors and ask them for aptly-titled-hiring-manager people to reach out to.
Think through how people are connected on LinkedIn and find the people in between and reach out.
What other LinkedIn hacks do I have up my sleeve?
** How to choose your photo for your LinkedIn profile pic. And the one photo type you should NEVER choose.
** Which LinkedIn Profile sections carry the most weight for effective keyword optimization.
** The two most important things to do, beyond writing your profile, that increase eyeballs to your profile—without this, all the profile optimization work won’t matter.
Grab your seat here for the session of your choice:
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.