The One #SMH Resume Mistake I See Daily That Doesn’t Discriminate
This 1 #SMH resume mistake does not discriminate.
Executives. Professionals. Entry-level. Corporate.
Marketing. Finance. Scientific. Law. IT.
This 1 #SMH mistake is committed by everyone at all levels from all walks of life every day.
I see this error daily.
All. The. Time.
Let’s put an end to this – okay? Once and for all.
I consider this my public service announcement for the day.
Ready for it? Here it is:
Don’t use the word “Summary” to label your resume summary.
Yep… That’s the zinger mistake that makes me scratch my head daily – often several times.
Would you label the top of your business card with the phrase “Business Card” to make sure everyone knew what it was?
Do you have the word “Pants” written down the outside of the left leg of your pants, so in case you forget what it is that you are wearing, you can look down and say to yourself (coupled with a face-palm), “Oh yeah, I’m wearing pants!”?
I think not.
You would never state the obvious.
So for the love of my husband’s scrumptious pumpkin pie on a holiday, please do not state “SUMMARY” on your resume.
(The ‘all caps’ is on purpose, since some feel the need to over emphasize the obvious and have the title in all caps on their resume).
This section on your resume is prime resume real estate.
Don’t waste it stating the obvious.
Use it to set the tone of your resume.
State the title you are targeting.
Use this prime resume real estate to sell you.
What you put here is step one in drawing in the reader to keep reading and then call you in for an interview.
Want to know what step two is?
Sign up to attend my no-cost resume master class online training session, “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land 6-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!“ on Tues. 9/7/2021 or Thurs. 9/9/2021 and find out.
Grab your seat here: https://chamres.com/97921BL
You won’t want to miss this… Nor miss step 2.
See you there!!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.