What is ageism in the hiring process? How can a good resume format eliminate ageism? These are two questions that I want to answer in this video.
A lot of people with 20 or more years of experience worry about that experience being a handicap. They worry that employers will see their seniority and pass them over because they’re too “old.” This is essentially ageism – the bias against prospective employees based on their age.
Here’s the thing: you’re never going to be able to fully control how others perceive you. However, I do notice that often people who worry about ageism are setting themselves up for failure by emphasizing their seniority on their resume.
So, what is ageism? Well, sometimes it’s discrimination in the hiring process. But other times it’s simply a resume with a poorly designed layout. Here are some tips to help you create a good resume format and avoid being judged based solely on age.
The first thing you should keep in mind is to avoid leading with your age or years of experience. Instead, lead with the achievements that are relevant to the job you’re seeking.
Second, please don’t use the word “seasoned.” The connotation is that you’ve been around a long time and thus it draws attention to your age.
Third, don’t go back more than 15-20 years when writing about your past experiences. If you do feel the need to go that far back, make sure that the older experiences don’t take up more space than the most recent ones.
If you’re wondering, “what is ageism?” maybe you should start asking yourself, “what can I do to avoid looking dated?”
The answer: come up with a good resume format that highlights your relevant achievements rather than your years of experience.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.