When dealing with high level positions the barrier of entry for reaching the appropriate contacts is practically iron-clad thanks to gatekeepers. You may also notice that the HR department is of little help in these cases.
Use these tips to help work around HR gatekeepers and get in front of important contacts.
Leveraging Relationships with Recruiters
Recruiters are always on the lookout for the best talent for their clients. You can also bet that at this level the company has handed the task of finding candidates to external recruiters (which would explain why HR can’t help you).
As such it’s important to maintain and develop your relationships with recruiters. Take their calls and listen to what they have to say. Connect with them on LinkedIn. Let them know you are available and help them with applicable leads.
Remember that recruiters are in direct contact with the company, so if anyone is going to to be able to set up a meeting it’s them.
Joining Local Boards
Joining local boards is a great way to network and meet with your area’s top executives. You can offer to become the head of local chapters for your professional organization, join community boards or join business networking organizations.
The important part here is not to just be a member of an organization and instead take an active part in leading it. This is where you will meet other execs, not at their happy hour events.
Start With Your Personal Network
If you don’t know where to start in terms of getting to the right people look no further than your own personal network. Send emails and ask to see if anyone has any leads or ins.
You can also take it a step further by using LinkedIn’s “How You’re Connected” feature. You’d be surprised at just how many contacts you can meet just through your personal network.
Start with Hiring Managers
If the executive assistant won’t budge and HR is of no use to you, you can still work with other contacts within the company to get what you need. One thing you can do is start by connecting with the lower levels of management and then working your way up the ladder.
It’s much easier to get a hold of a hiring manager than it is to get a hold of a top executive. Each connection can then open the door to the next level.
From seeing how you’re connected to people to using groups to leverage your expertise, LinkedIn is a great place to find high level contacts without having to deal with their gatekeepers.
Why? Because chances are their assistant doesn’t manage their LinkedIn profile.
Just follow some simple etiquette rules and you’ll be well on your way to making the connections you need on LinkedIn.
Getting past the gate keeper may be an obstacle, but with our tips you’ll be able to overcome it.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.