2020 Planning: Write an Interview-Worthy Resume
Do you know how many times a day someone asks me to critique/review/look over their resume?
Too many to count.
It’s like they feel they need an expert just to quickly point out a couple of tweaks and poof, they magically have an interview-worthy resume.
Well, it doesn’t work like that.
I can’t simply review it and give you one or two suggestions.
Your resume is an important tool in your job landing kit… it deserves more than just a quick read in between driving the kids to activities.
Your resume should take time to create and you should invest what you can to make it powerful.
Now, since we’re talking about landing a job this year, I will say that there is one single thing that every interview-worthy resume should have.
One single focus and one single goal.
Wanna know what that is?
Of course you do.
OK here it is:
Every single resume should focus on achievements and not just experience.
Many resumes I have critiqued over the years lead with sentences like:
“Seasoned Senior Executive with over 25 years experience”
Ahhhh. No. This won’t work.
First of all, it makes you seem older than you are and second of all, hiring managers need to see how much you have achieved over these 25 years (and not just how much you have experienced).
So to highlight your achievements you can follow this simple strategy:
For every job description bullet you add to your resume you should ask yourself:
- How do you know you did a good job?
- What did that good job look like?
- Do you have numbers to back you up?
If you can do this ask and answer exercise as you create your interview-worthy resume you will be able to fill it with achievements that make you look like the strongest candidate for the position (no matter your age).
Now I know that many people feel very anxious that their resume isn’t as powerful and achievement-based as it should be. I know that you’re sending your resumes out and hearing nothing back.
It’s time to change that by attending my free “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land Interviews and Get Hired!“ Master Class.
Never be dependent on third-party recruiters and job boards again! Learn how to find the hidden job market and generate your own job leads with the proven tactics I’m going to share during the training.
I’ll also show you how to write your resume for how 70% of hires are made. It might not be the way you think it is…
Register for the session of your choice: https://chameleonresumes.com/execrestraining
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.