1) Don’t Use a Photo on Your Resume:
2) You MUST Include a Title:Handing in a resume for a high level position without a title may cost you the interview. The reason is because you’re failing to give the person glancing at your resume any idea of what kind of job you’d be good for.You can fix this by using a descriptive title at the top of the resume. For instance, if you simply state “Accounting” as a title it’s rather vague and could refer to any position in the accounting department. Instead you should write titles such as “Chief Financial Officer”, “Manager of Accounts Receivable”, or “Head of Accounting Department.”The same concept can be applied to a number of positions in departments across the board. The point is to tell the reader exactly what you do in a quick manner.
3) Do Not Forget the Numbers:
4) Make Sure the Formatting Isn’t Outdated:Times change and companies want forward thinking leaders who will take their brand to the next level. As a result, one sure fire way to get your resume trashed is to hand it in with outdated formatting.You can start by getting rid of the Objective section. Employers don’t particularly care what you want; instead, they are much more concerned with what you can do for them.
5) Use Lots of Verbs:Many people forgo the use verbs on resumes. This leads to confusion about what it is they actually did on the job.They’ll write bullet points stating “Management systems for IT department” which can mean both anything and nothing at the same time.You can combat this by using action packed verbs like “lead”, “influenced”, or “pioneered.” This shows that you did more than just manage, you had clout at your former company. To learn even more about mistakes to avoid & the essentials you need to turn your resume into a powerful career tool that will capture the attention of recruiters and hiring managers, please join us for our LIVE, No-Cost “How to Design a Powerful Executive Resume to Land Interviews and Get the Offer!” training session on Tues. 5/8 or Thurs. 5/10 at 1:30 p.m. ET.Click this link now for further details & to register for the session of your choice.Be Well!Lisa
Lisa Rangel and the Chameleon Resume team have helped hundreds of people just like you get the 6-figure position they deserve.
If you are interested in working with an elite team of former Fortune 500 recruiters and executive resume writers to win the attention of hiring managers and start landing more interviews, sign up for an exploratory call now to discuss next steps.