It’s an addictive time suck spiral spending most of your job search time on job boards.
This is how it starts: The enticing idea of sending your credentials online to instantly receive an interview appeals to your sense of wanting immediate gratification with low risk of direct rejection.
But what ends up happening for most people is a slow, draining process of rejectionless rejection. Instead of being told “no,” you are told nothing.
Or computerized “”thanks but no thanks” emails that came seconds after you submitted your application (that took 45 minutes to submit) that you know a human didn’t write.
It’s like putting another 5 pound weight on your chest… which at first isn’t so bad. But after your 33rd response-less rejection, well, 33×5 lbs. on your chest starts to suffocate your soul.
So I advise to look for open jobs outside job boards.
And they exist… in abundance.
But if you are looking for an Insta-Easy Employment Button to find and apply to these jobs, then just unsubscribe now.
Anything that is “Insta-Easy” to apply to is going to have hundreds, if not thousands, of people applying and you may not even get eyeballs on your resume.
If you are willing to do the work that almost no one else wants to do, and it works, then read on…
Here are at least 7 ways to find jobs openings not on job boards:
1 – Check with your college alumni network.
2 – Search for corporate alumni of where you used to work and connect with those new individuals.
3 – Reach out to the majority of your LinkedIn contacts. You most likely have over 500 connections. Use them.
4 – Business news stories. Where there is smoke, there is fire. If a company launches a new business, there is often hiring happening to support it. If a company downsizes, believe it or not, that creates opportunities. Position yourself as a solution.
5 – Industry conferences and conventions—whether you attend or not, there are nuggets of opportunity to capitalize on here.
6 – Educational and career/professional development events. People who grow and stick together helps each other.
7 – Professional association members take care of each other. So join these groups.
There are many other ways to find unpublished jobs and stay off job boards, but these are the most important, IMHO.
And all will require you to get your resume updated and in order.
Use my Interview-Generating Resume Templates to prepare yourself in the best possible way: The Interview-Generating Resume Package
I designed these templates from a recruiter’s perspective and it’s why they have generated thousands of interviews for ChamTribers who bought them.
Get off the job board hamster wheel and start doing the steps I list above that generate better results .
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.