There comes a time in every professional’s life when they must decide whether or not to spend money to further their career. The Basic or Premium LinkedIn decision is no exception to this rule.
You may have logged into your LinkedIn account and seen advertisements for their upgraded programs. You may have even wondered if upgrading is worth the time, effort, and money associated with the Basic or Premium LinkedIn Membership.
The following breakdown of each LinkedIn upgrades will help you decide which version you need or if you even need to upgrade at all.
Compare key features within different account types.
With a free LinkedIn account you get all the basics. That means you get a full profile, messages, groups, and the Pulse news feed.
The limitations lie in the extra features many people don’t know about . LinkedIn’s free account also only gives you a taste of extended features found within the premium subscriptions.
Introductions: Introductions allow you to contact individuals who are two or three degrees away from your profile by requesting an introduction from one of your current connections. With the free account you get a total of 5 introductions. Meanwhile the number of introductions you get with the paid accounts increases with every upgrade.
InMail: InMail allows you to message anyone on LinkedIn. The free version of LinkedIn does not allow for InMail while the upgraded accounts do. You have a limited number of InMails allowed per month depending on which premium account you choose.
Move up higher on the list: When you pay for a LinkedIn account you are moved up higher in the search rankings. This increases your visibility to recruiters. With a free account you will be relying heavily on key words.
Reference Search: Reference search allows you to get a list of people in your network who can provide a reference for someone you are interested in. This feature comes with all of the paid accounts.
Search filters: Upgraded accounts give you the added option of being able to search for people by salary.
Price Breakdown for LinkedIn Upgrades
LinkedIn has three kinds of premium accounts: “Business” ($19.95/MO), “Business Plus” ($39.95/MO), and “Executive” ($74.94/MO). These premium upgrades are billed annually.
Each upgrade comes with the features listed above. The difference lies in how many InMails, Introductions, and job search results you’re allowed to have. For a complete breakdown of the numbers visit the LinkedIn Premium Account page.
Regardless of whether you choose to keep your free account or upgrade to a premium account, the purpose of your LinkedIn profile remains the same: build relationships and connections that can further your career. While there are ways of reaching many people by simply growing your network on a free account, the paid options make it just a little easier.
If you are interested in working with Lisa Rangel, an accomplished executive resume and LinkedIn Profile writer, LinkedIn Job Seeker Group Moderator and job search consultant, to achieve the social media exposure and land the interviews you want, sign up for an exploratory call now and learn about how Chameleon Resumes can help.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.