Election-Proof Your Career: 15 Ways to Win – No Matter Who Wins
Worried about your job with the political jockeying and economic churning occurring each day?
Whatever happens in Washington or Wall Street over the next few months, the fact remains that the uncertainty posed by the election and global fiscal incidents have many people worried about how it will affect their job.
Does this describe you?
Executives are rumbling loudly about how the fiscal and electoral outcome can affect the workplace.
Despite this growing concern, I believe you can election-proof your career triumph in this economic turmoil and political uncertainty.
“How?” you ask…
As a general rule, focus on what you can control and ignore what you can’t control to win during this tumultuous time.
This alone will set you apart from the doomsdayers who unknowingly say the markets are collapsing no matter who wins the election or what country is economically unstable.
Remaining level-headed matters.
Companies want to hire and keep productive, resilient and happy employees…so here are 15 actions you can do to demonstrate these characteristics and election-proof your career:
1) Remain calm, stay focused and simply do your job. If your employer sees you as someone who is resilient and productive amongst the economic noise, they will note that you might be worth keeping around if cuts are to be made.
2) Be the voice of reason: stop talking about what can go wrong and focus on what can be done right. Again, employers want to keep the employees that are positively contributing to the environment and not the Chicken Littles who are running around like the sky is falling.
3) Stay social – ask a work colleague out for lunch and call a long distance professional buddy to chat. And, for God’s sake, don’t talk about the negativity in the news. Chat about productive topics.
4) Join a professional networking group and stay abreast of what is going on in your discipline and your industry. Make new friends.
5) When doing your performance appraisal, spell out how you contributed to revenue initiatives, saved money and streamlined processes. Tell your boss how fabulous you are in concrete, measurable terms.
6) Don’t be a negative Nelly…seriously. If you come across happy and grateful, your employer does not have to worry about making you happy. I find that demanding, disgruntled, never-satisfied employees who contribute to the problem, rather than the solution, do not tend to stick around long.
7) Update your executive resume and optimize LinkedIn profile to reflect these wins outlined in your performance appraisal. Have these documents ready to roll if needed.
8) Audit your LinkedIn connections and see that you are connected with vendors, clients, external and internal partners. Maximize your reach.
9) Get LinkedIn recommendations and endorsements…can’t hurt, right?
10) Be active online…post interesting articles, endorse other people, and participate in groups to stay visible in online mediums. Show you are a beacon of educational light.
11) Research professional development initiatives you can do…certifications, professional credits, and ongoing learning initiatives improve your credentials and create natural networking opportunities, whether they are in person or online.
12) Book yourself to attend a conference…when was the last time you went to one in your industry? Promote yourself as a leader in your field and for your company.
13) Time to turn off the news…don’t listen to it. Unless you are contributing to the senate meetings or advising the Presidential candidate on how to proceed, you really don’t need to listen to the play-by-play.
14) Sign up for an interview coaching class or work with a private coach to hone your message if you need to re-interview for your job.
15) Help others. Be a resource to your network. Connect people who can benefit from knowing each other. This will be remembered when you ask for help.
The bottom line is keep your eye on the prize—retaining and excelling in your job—by just over-delivering on what you are supposed to do. Even if you lose your job due to economic circumstances beyond your control, the good karma that will come from doing most of what is suggested above will increase your opportunities to be hired quickly. Again, companies want to hire and keep productive, resilient and happy employees. People hire people they like.
Companies realize they cannot make you a positive person.
You have to come to them that way.
Register for our next No-Cost “How To Create Your LinkedIn Profile to Generate 6-Figure Job Interviews Faster“ training session.
P.S. Share this invitation with two friends that need a boost, or the insurance, in their career. Thanks in advance!
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.