The interview preparation tips in this video are meant to help you with one of the most common questions out there: the “so, tell me about yourself” question. I discuss what goes into good tell me about yourself interview answers and how to avoid common mistakes.
The reason for this question is that interviewers want to get a feel for how you communicate about yourself. Think of this as your verbal first impression. It’s an opportunity to showcase your talents and experiences.
Here are four ways to ensure an effective answer:
First, what makes you exceptional? Are you good at building relationships? Utilizing technology to the company’s benefit? This is one of the most important interview preparation tips because if you can show that you’re the type of person who goes beyond what your role is, you’ll be sure to impress.
The second important aspect of good tell me about yourself interview answers is confidence. Be confident in a way that shows how you’ve contributed to your past companies. If you focus on the company’s goals and how you helped to achieve them, it will show your value without coming off as boastful.
Third, make sure you have measurable examples of whatever you choose to talk about. If you attracted quality talent, you can show how a certain percentage moved on to management positions. Speak in concrete, measurable facts.
The last part of a good answer is to keep it short and sweet. Don’t start too far back in your history, as it will only detract from the things that really matter.
Good tell me about yourself interview answers don’t stray from the value you bring. Use these interview preparation tips and you’ll make this question an opportunity rather than a hurdle.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.