Clearly after the election results, there will be some happy and not-so-happy people. If your candidate won, you may be thinking, “Things will pick up now… I can feel it in my bones that I will find the job I want soon.”
If your candidate was not elected, you may have a tendency to ponder, “We are now on the wrong track. I am afraid I will never find the job I want.”
Here is the good news and the bad news… Both of these people are right – and also very wrong.
After speaking with job seekers, recruiters, business leaders and human resources managers this past week, the bottom line is this:
If you think you will or will not find a job, you are right.
A variation of the infamous Henry Ford quote, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you‘re right.”
Finding a job is more about the actions you take each and every day and less about who is residing in the White House. While those who are happy about who is in office may benefit in the short term because of a positive attitude, the reality is these people will only find a job if they take proactive action to network and contact people to advance their job search. Any success they see will because of actions they take, not because their candidate won. So then the good news for those whose candidate didn’t win is positive job search results have nothing to do with who is in office, as well.
Regardless of your political persuasion, here are some tactics you can use TODAY to help jump start your job search and generate the results you seek:
Review your resume, social media profiles and job search documents to see if they are presenting you in the best light. Are you using a contemporary visual format? Have you included achievement branded language that defines how you succeeded in your job. Ensure you use pivotal keywords throughout your resume and social media profiles to improve your chances of being found by corporate and search firm recruiters.
Expand your online presence. Only have 50 connections on LinkedIn? Increase it to 100 quality connections. Not on Glassdoor, BranchOut on BeKnown? Try something new online to expand your professional presence.
Make social media social. Get out from behind the computer and talk to people. Have you not talked to your former office mates from your previous job in a while? Can you meet some of them for coffee, lunch or a drink? When was the last college alumni cocktail hour you attended? Have you joined a professional networking group that supports your industry or profession? Make new contacts and nurture the relationships you already have to increase your ability to generate leads and information for your job search.
Contact companies directly. Don’t just apply through an ad or even wait for an ad to apply. If you are an accountant looking for a senior accounting role, look for Controllers at target companies where you want to work and introduce yourself directly. Are you a Marketing Executive looking for a new leadership role at a technological upstart? Locate the contact information for the CMO or the CEO and ask for an informational interview. What do you have to lose? And don’t wait for a job to be posted to do this. Just do this.
Turn off the news. Really. So much of the regular and business news in these turbulent times is just outright negative. Keep your mental health sharp without large and small dosages of negative energy and information found in today’s news.
So here is your to-do list for today, or this week, to jump start your job search and take back control of your destiny:
(1) Add 10-25% more connections to your LinkedIn Profile—or a minimum of 50, if you need to start there.
(2) Call two co-workers from your previous job and say hello – just see what is going on with them. Do not tell them about your job search yet, if it does not come up naturally or seem appropriate. But just making the call will open you up to make more calls of the job search kind.
(3) Introduce yourself to a hiring manager at a target company where you want to work and ask for an informational meeting in person or on the phone.
(4) Pick one person from your social media channels that you have not spoken with in a while and either call or email them.
(5) Shut off the news. Read something positive that will make you happy.
Reduce your stress levels and strengthen your career prospects by developing a job search plan you can execute for maximum results. Our ‘GET HIRED FAST!’ Success Package contains everything you need to improve your existing resume and LinkedIn profile to achieve results in your job search faster.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.