Imperfect Progress vs. Perfection Paralysis
If I am not careful, I can get overwhelmed by subliminally seeking perfection. Paralysis typically follows.
I don’t want to do it. It just sort of happens.
Compelled to tweak this detail. Do something a precisely certain way. Think all is right with the world when everything happens just as I ordered.
The problem with this insidious thinking is when things don’t go as planned (as they often don’t), and perfection isn’t destined, I can start to slowly feel paralyzed… like stew-in-a-slow-boiling-pot kinda way.
I don’t even know it’s happening… until my overwhelm is at full boil and I don’t know how to get myself out.
This can happen when dealing with my kids, or work, or my own health regimen, or the news or anything.
The Slow Boil Overwhelm of Perfection can leave me paralyzed and I get nothing done.
Can you relate?
Thankfully, I find I am not alone. But I hate that you have to go through it, too.
I see job seekers experience this. Often.
Signs that paralyzing perfection is seeping into your bones are:
You obsess over the right wording of a LinkedIn Profile. (I have had to tell a client you are not going to be denied an interview because you decided to omit the word “the” in a sentence. Trust me.)
You unsubscribe from my daily career tips because I don’t double-space after my periods. (Yes, this has happened. More than once. And when I look up the person’s profile, they are unemployed. Coincidence? Hmmmm…)
You won’t reach out to a cold contact for an exploratory interview since you are worried they will say no or not reply if you write the wrong message (which is the exact same place you are in by not reaching out at all, for the record).
Perfection leads to paralysis.
Accepting imperfections leads you to make progress.
The key is to find a plan. A plan helps me to keep moving forward and not be paralyzed by the illusion of perfection.
So let’s tackle the first item: Your LinkedIn profile.
My next “How to Write Your LinkedIn Profile to Land 6-Figure Job Interviews“ Master Class will show you the easily implemented ways to maximize the optimization and, ultimately, views of your profile to land the desirable interviews you want.
So make sure you join us on Tues. 8/24/2021 or Thurs. 8/26/2021. I will teach you the same proven job landing tips that I share with job seekers daily on LinkedIn!
Here is the link to register: https://chamres.com/82426BL
You will see progress after you attend and put what you learn into practice.
See you there!!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.