LEGO Masters Lesson
My latest obsession is watching this show called LEGO Masters.
It’s a competition among master LEGO builders who compete for the title of Grand LEGO Master.
The competition is a blend of creativity, storytelling, architecture, engineering, and graphic art talent brought together in competitors who build these magnificent structures out of LEGOs.
It’s pretty awesome if you haven’t watched it. And if you have, you know what I am talking about.
There is this one team, Christian and Aaron, who are clearly exceptionally talented. They have big ideas that translate into grand, beautifully articulated LEGO structures that outshine most of the competitors. They could definitely win the whole thing if they wanted. They are that good (no spoilers… promise).
In the 8th or 9th episode, Christian and Aaron are close to finishing a tall skinny build, a building, with minutes to spare. It’s a magnificent spectacle with exceptional detail that impressed you upon first glance. Heads above the other structures.
They begin to roll the table with their structure on it to the presentation area… and unexpectedly roll over a LEGO piece.
Their probably-can-win-this-competition-level structure teeters and breaks in the middle of the building. Aaron catches the large piece that broke off but many other aspects of the build broke off and fell to the floor.
The build was ruined and, with only minutes to spare, there was no way to fix the masterpiece to bring it back to its initial state.
It was gone.
But to Aaron and Christian’s credit, they pivoted and rebounded.
It wasn’t the same way they intended but they used the few minutes they had to make the best save they could.
And it was still awesome.
Sometimes the best builds crumble. And you just pivot. It’s never the same but a different awesome arises from the crash.
It’s like job searching in a pandemic, to be frank.
This is not what we anticipated. And many of you have had illustrious careers that you built that you are very proud to showcase.
But damn, we rolled over that damn LEGO piece and it all came crashing down.
So, we rebuild. It may not be the same as before. But it can often be better or the same in a different way.
What happened to Christian and Aaron in that episode? They moved on to the next round.
All was not lost. True winners rise above the crisis. Let’s do this together.
Join me for my upcoming free LinkedIn profile master class as I show you how to rebuild your LinkedIn profile so you can display your leadership qualities, your incredible accomplishments, and your vast experience so you can create powerful branding and messaging.
Even if you have a job right now, your LinkedIn profile is a key part of how your brand is portrayed, and, as we move through this precarious time, having a carefully crafted profile would be the smart move. If your job comes crashing down, you need to have your back up plan ready to roll.
Looking forward to seeing you on the training.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.