Summer Time Job Search Success
Think the summer is a bad time for job searching? Think again! Break out the BBQ, grab a cocktail and have some fun doing your job search. For some reason, we have always been told that searching for a job during the summer months, is a bad idea – and dare I say, a long road. Luckily for you, that is just a myth! The summer time is a great opportunity to start your new job search and find the perfect role for you.
1. There are more activities available
Summer is a great time to network, network, and network some more. There are more opportunities to get outside, do something fun, and make great new connections while you are at it.
By the time summer rolls around, we are all tired of networking inside of dark restaurants or convention centers, so more people tend to attend outside events – which increases the number of possible connections for you to meet. These events can also be casual settings, making it easier to chat over a burger with cocktails.
Also, try to attend an activity or event that is outside of your traditional networking event. These opportunities allow you to meet people outside of your industry, but can still help you get access to their company and networks. In other words, while hiking, you may meet the one connection that will help you land your new role.
2. Fewer people are searching for the same job
The truth is there are fewer job searchers during the summer months. Maybe it’s due to the fact that people would rather bask in the sun or “know” there aren’t any positions available; regardless, it’s a great opportunity to increase your odds of being chosen as a candidate.
Not only will you have a greater chance of your resume being sent through the online application process, but you will be able to follow-up a lot easier as the recruiter’s inbox will not be as full. Use this to your advantage and ensure that you do not fall into the summertime trap, but instead, take every advantage you can get.
3. Positions are real positions
We’ve all been burned by positions that were open as placeholders or to appease year-end budgetary needs. That’s not likely the case for positions you find during the summer months. In other words, the positions you find are actually vacant and seeking the perfect candidate like you.
Don’t second guess the positions you find – the hiring manager is likely eager to find someone to step into their open role, so they can enjoy what’s left of their own summer. Summer positions tend to move more quickly as it is more difficult to align schedules – so things are set-up urgently. Keep this in mind when you see a great opening.
4. Your own schedule has a bit more flexibility
It is summer after all – your work load may have lightened up a bit or you find yourself being able to leave the office earlier. You may not be able to leave early every day, but take the flexibility and bonus time when you can – and devote it to your job search.
With a few extra hours here and there, not to mention it will be a lot easier to take a half day for interviewing duties, you will be able to make more progress in your job search. These little moments add up – and could be the key to landing your new role.
Overall, don’t put your job search on hold during the summer months. It is a great time to take advantage of the positions that are listed, along with the benefits that come with summer – and stand out among other candidates. And at the very least, start planting seeds with new connections while networking outside.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.