“25 years of experience in a 2 page document?”
This is what almost every senior level job seeker thinks when they start writing their resume.
“How am I going to put all I have done on two pages?”
Well, often they don’t.
They either make a 3-5 page resume, which most recruiters won’t read past page two.
Or more commonly they cram three pages worth of content on two pages. Or they squeeze five pages of writing in three pages.
The resume is basically unreadable and indigestible when a job seeker does this.
When they don’t get the interview call they blame it on ageism. But in reality, they crammed in too much information and pushed the reader to move onto the next resume that was written in a much easier to read fashion.
So why do people cram so much info in their resume?
In this video I share the 5 causes as to why this happens that I have seen in my 24 years in this recruiting/job landing business.
If you are writing your resume, you will need to know these 5 causes ahead of time so you don’t commit the mistake of overloading your resume and losing the attention of the reader.
And then if you want templates that will guide you how to write your own resume in formats that have landed our clients interview, grab a copy of our resume template bundle here:
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.