In this video I talk about the new rules for executives on what to wear at an interview. The norms are changing in regards to appropriate interview attire and it’s important to know how to send the right message with your clothes.
Most of the time you’ll want to dress in the traditional blue or black suit; however, it’s important to do some research to find out if that really is the best way to go.
So, you should first figure out what other employees are wearing at the company. You can look at employees online, at networking events, or at work to get a good idea of the expectation. By seeing what others are dressed like, you’ll know what to wear at an interview and thus, be able to choose appropriate interview attire.
If you determine that you should dress non-traditionally, you should try to be a little bit overdressed. You’d rather be a little overdressed than underdressed because you don’t want to attract negative attention to yourself.
Whether it’s formal or a little more informal, I would stick to something simple and classy. When you come in, you want to make sure that YOU are making an impression, rather than your clothes. The focus should be on you.
It’s also important to consider the medium of your interview. If you’re meeting in person, a subtle print shirt with a solid jacket may be fine but on a video interview it might be problematic.
These are just a few of the things you should keep in mind when considering what to wear at an interview. Appropriate interview attire can make a big difference in your chances of being hired. After all, your clothes often send a message; it’s up to you to decide what you want to say.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.