5 Ways a Career Changer Can Demonstrate Leadership Skills on Their Resume
Money Magazine wrote an article about “The 8 Best Skills for Career Changers“, and the author lists LEADERSHIP as the second best skill for a career changer to have and to showcase on their resume as a transferable skill.
Leadership is one of those skills that everyone claims to have but few know how to list on their resume effectively.
It’s an important soft skill.
Up until relatively recently, companies thought that hard skills are what would get them their bottom line.
Now we’ve come to realize that soft skills are just as important when it comes to growing a company. Soft skills are considered to be behaviors and traits such as adaptability, critical thinking, people skills, likeability, time management and innate leadership.
How do you show that you have strong leadership skills in a concrete, measurable manner on your resume?
(1) Use specific leadership skills mentioned in the job ad on your resume.
Job ads will, often times, have the type of leadership written into them. This way you customize your resume for the target position. This technique is far more effective than sending everyone the same generic resume.
(2) Provide solid examples.
Anyone can say they have leadership skills, but not everyone can prove it. Make sure you have examples of achievements to back it up. Not sure how to do this? Attend my next online Resume Writing Master Class Training to learn how to demonstrate these achievements on your resumes.
(3) Use verbs related to soft skills.
One of the biggest mistakes executives make when writing resumes is avoiding the use of verbs. A quick way to remedy that is to use verbs that are associated with leadership skills.
(4) Highlight your leadership qualities.
Being a leader in the workplace requires the use of multiple soft skills at once. Simply put, you can’t be a leader if you don’t know how to deal with people. Highlighting your leadership qualities on your resume can help you bring in very important related soft skills into your resume.
(5) Use measurable, quantitative results.
If you really want to impress a potential employer with your leadership, find quantitative results to quote on your resume that demonstrate your leadership in action.
Do you want to receive training on how to write achievements for your resume that demonstrate your effective leadership skills so you can do your career change to finally get the job you love?
Attend my no-cost “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land Six-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!“ master class.
Register here: https://chameleonresumes.com/execrestraining
We will cover how to write an achievement-based resume to showcase your leadership and other transferable skills to land your dream job.
Don’t miss it!
If you didn’t take care of your career so far this year, after promising yourself you would, now is the time!
See you there!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.