Make Your Skeleton Dance to Nail Your Next Interview
Do you fear being asked about the rocky performance you had in your last or current job on the next interview?
Did you have a less-than-favorable relationship with your CEO recently and you are dreading the interviewer asking the “tell me about how well you worked with your boss” question?
Unsure how to handle the skeletons in your closet?
I say take it out of the closet and make it dance….
It’s a term from George Bernard Shaw, where he said:
“If you can’t hide the family skeleton, you might as well make it dance.”
Yep… I say bring it on…
Well, you know they are going to ask.
So be ready for the tough questions you hope they don’t ask.
And not only be prepared…
Confidently and diplomatically address the tough questions.
I say bring it.
Own your baggage… Embrace the skeleton… or family of skeletons, if that is how you roll…
Here’s a newsflash…
Everyone has baggage.
How do I know?
I hear all your stories.
No one comes to me for help saying they have a perfect background.
Too many jobs in a short period of time.
Took the wrong job after a long tenure with prior employer.
Boss undermines them and the opportunity to create resume-like
achievements is limited.
I can go on and on.
Even people with ‘perfect’ backgrounds on paper, with a new job every 6 years or promoted every 3 years, have product lines they oversaw that failed or high staff turnover or shrinking margins they need to account for on their next interview.
Here is the secret to making the skeleton dance:
With all other things being relatively equal, the person who
diplomatically, vulnerably and proactively addresses their baggage best on an interview wins the offer.
Companies don’t just want the best performer in perfect conditions. They want the best person who is honest about a business situation, assesses the needed plan and executes in the face of fear and imperfect conditions to fix adverse situations.
They want the person who will get them out of the foxhole alive and then flourish… not just the parade leader when the weather is great.
Be prepared, own your baggage, make the skeleton dance and nail your next interview!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.