Let’s face it: executive job search candidates hate applicant tracking systems (ATS) as part of the job search process. As a former recruiter of finance and other corporate executives, I have used ATS systems (Taleo, Bullhorn, SAP, Bond Adapt, PeopleSoft and others) for a number of years and knew from the beginning that they were here to stay. After attending a recent Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) seminar on ATS Selection & Optimization, it is very apparent that this sentiment is still very strong and ATS systems are not going anywhere. In fact, it is the complete opposite: recruitment and talent management systems will continue to be embedded within the employment landscape…so what is an executive job seeker to do?
• Show that you embrace technology. If you have a robust online presence, it subliminally sends a message that you can use and welcome the use of technology in all facets of professional life: job searching, work productivity, people networking, time management, etc…
• Use a reverse chronological format for laying out your resume, as it is the format that ATS systems are designed to digest. The more predictable of a location your information is found on your resume, the more likely your resume will be imported into the ATS system properly. So don’t be too creative with resume layout protocols.
• Utilize key words from the job description naturally throughout the text of your resume. This will help with search term optimization—having the terms used by recruiters to find candidates like you used within your resume.
• Ensure your resume can be opened on mobile devices as ATS systems are now being adapted to integrate with mobile technologies. In addition to a Word file, keep a .txt formatted resume on hand for applications asking for this type of file submission.
• Don’t fight the ATS process. Showing you can welcome this format, will show hiring authorities that you will comfortably use their other onboarding, talent evaluation and performance management cloud-based systems that are used for other HR functions, such as Workday and Successfactor. If the hiring team feels you will not adapt well to this technology culture (regardless of the industry), they may pass on considering you for the position being concerned about you not being the right fit within the organization.
By accepting that ATS systems are here to stay and committing to mastering their use, you are telling the hiring managers that you understand the value of starting and developing relationships using technology as tool to facilitate that relationship. It is certainly not a substitute for human interaction, but if a properly optimized resume gets you through an ATS system to receive an interview call from a person, then it is a viable tool to start a human interaction. Shift your mindset to embrace this concept and I am certain you will see better job search results.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.