When I was a search firm recruiter, I found getting hired during the holiday months of November and December was very feasible and were often close to my top billing months for the year. Yet all I hear from job seekers and corporate recruiters this time of year, “The holidays are slow for hiring.”
Well, don’t believe it! If you are still energized, then keep your job search going through the holidays.
Here are 6 Little Known Reasons Why You Can Get Hired in November and December and how your efforts can pay off:
- I found that jobs open in November and December were often business-critical functions within the organization and, therefore, companies hired quickly when a close-to-the-right candidate surfaced. If the position was not pivotal, then the company would have hired in January, if they could.
- Organizations on a fiscal calendar year always tried to use budget dollars and/or fill approved openings to not lose the money or head count for the following year.
- Candidates who are suitable for open jobs during this time have a greater chance of getting hired since many of their competing candidates postpone the search until January---candidates still in the job search game are up against less competition in November and December.
- With holiday parties and “thank you to our vendor/client” events, it is an exceptional time for candidates to network without actually looking like they are job hunting. Additionally, because business for some industries could be slower during this period, this time is ripe for being able to dart out for an interview without raising eyebrows.
- Companies that have a strategic plan to hiring tend to want to seek out talent in December, since it is a down time for many US-based organizations. Reactive companies may sit out on the side lines until their next opening comes around in the New Year, but better quality companies take action during December to court the best people to add to their ranks.
- If a US-based candidate is targeting a global company that organization may not slow down during US holiday periods. Keep in mind that every culture may not celebrate a holiday during November or December. So if international assignments are what a candidate is seeking, whether the candidate is US-based on not, stepping up the search during this time can improve the odds of landing a global role.
Bottom line is if you are exhausted and need a break or if you have family obligations that are preventing you from conducting your job search, then postpone the search until January. There will certainly be positions to apply for during the New Year.
However, if you are still pumped up to do a search, then keep going. Do not stop simply because you ‘heard’ it is slow. Capitalize on what the season offers job seekers. Make the most of the lower volumes of candidates applying and the increased amount of social opportunities the season provides.
Our "Get Hired During The Holidays" eGuide contains the strategies you'll need to get an edge over your competition this holiday season. Don't put your job search on hold.
Right now is actually one of the BEST times to knuckle down, and find yourself a new position—even during challenging times!
Because most job seekers end up taking all (or most) of the holidays off thinking hiring is slow—and ANY jobs open in November and December typically really need to be filled ASAP or HR would put it off until January.
*So...urgent job openings + lower volume of candidates looking = JOB HIRING MAGIC!*
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.