Google for Jobs, launched on 6/20/2017, is Google‘s new job search engine that aggregates job postings from across the web.
When you run a Google search, for example “Chief Marketing Officer NYC,” you receive search results for CMO jobs posted from websites like Glassdoor, Linkedin, Angelist, ZipRecruiter, Indeed and a variety of other job posting sites all in one place.
It’s certainly a time saver for executive job seekers.
I had one ChamTriber ask me, probably half in jest and half serious, “Wow! This is awesome. Does this mean I can stop networking now?”
I chuckled – I appreciated his sentiment.
But, alas, no. You can’t stop networking.
Remember, according to SHRM, JobVite, CareerXRoads and other studies, about 20-25% of hires are made through job boards.
And Google for Jobs is a aggregator of job board postings.
So it’s still just a job board.
Doesn’t mean it’s not an awesome tool to use in your executive or professional job search.
It should be used!
But it’s not a substitute for networking.
Depending on who you ask, 55-70% of hires still happen through networking.
And that’s with Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor and companies website job postings already in existence.
Google for Jobs puts all of these job postings in one place, so that is efficient and fantastic.
But the hidden job market, or the unadvertised jobs, are not going to be found on Google for Jobs.
After all, they are unadvertised.
How do you find the unadvertised jobs, otherwise called “the hidden job market”?
You reach out to humans and ask (you may have read about me calling this The ROTH Method in past articles – reply to email me if you want the article).
So celebrate that Google for Jobs will make the aspects of your job search that encompass job boards easier.
But don’t get carried away with the champagne.
You still need to network with humans.
Humans still hire other humans.
If you want to learn how to network most effectively with human hiring managers to land interviews for advertised and unadvertised jobs, our Get Hired Fast package can help you achieve this quickly:
I look forward to your hearing about your results. Make your investment today.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.