Yes, I landed what I would call an interview a couple of weeks ago without looking for a job or to work for an outside company. How did it happen? I was reading a blog post from a fellow career services professional who runs a group at a large career management firm. This person made a great point in how successful job seekers at all levels (in their particular case they cater to the executive job seeker) are repackaging their skill sets to reinvent themselves within their existing profession or an entirely new profession.
I thought he made a great point. I commented on his blog. I expressed my thoughts and opened up a dialogue between us. He emailed me back…and he asked if I was open to having a conversation, as he was looking to grow his team of resume writers and career consultants. I hadn’t thought of working for someone else, but I never say no to a conversation. We had lunch and it was a wonderful experience. He and his company do great work and help many people. However, I realized I like what I am doing at Chameleon Resumes and embrace where I am at today….Yet what resulted after our conversation is not of major importance.
When was the last time you put yourself out there? When was the last time you commented on someone else’s work in a positive but constructive way? Have you opened up dialogue with anyone in your field out of pure and genuine interest? Have you recently made someone think about a perspective they have not considered? I have found when I put myself out there, often the interaction that transpires enriches my life in some way I did not expect.
Therefore, I challenge you to ask someone about his or her work in person. Research blogs in your space and post comments on a few. Send an email to someone asking his or her opinion on a challenge you are facing. Start your own blog to see who reaches out to you…Be interested in others to be interesting to others. Take some action and be open to the results that can happen….
Written by Lisa Rangel, Executive Resume Writer
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.