No responses to job search emails.
This is the #1 frustration I hear from job seekers at all levels.
Why are you not getting any replies to the hundreds of job search emails you are sending?
Jobs you are qualified for and happy to do?
Without knowing the specifics of approach (what you wrote, nature of the job, who you contacted, how you contacted, etc…), it’s hard to say specifically why you are having trouble.
Just because you approach a hiring manager or potential manager, doesn’t mean you are automatically entitled to a reply.
You don’t get a participation trophy for simply sending the email.
Although I give you some points for trying and not being a job board troll.
You have to do the job search email strategically well for it to work.
Generally speaking, I find when responses are not forthcoming, I see a few common misfires may be happening.
Here is a list of general errors that prevent job search emails from being answered — that can be fixed:
(1) The email is too long. People most often won’t read long unsolicited emails.
(2) The communication doesn’t capture the readers’ attention with the subject line nor the first line or two of the email body.
(3) The letter isn’t customized to the person or to the company’s situation. Copy and pasted general emails often don’t resonate with the reader. They can tell.
(4) The letter is too focused on you and what you need and doesn’t reference how what you can do can benefit the person/company to whom you are sending the letter.
(5) Your letter dives into asking for something immediately (a referral, a favor, an introduction) from someone who has no idea who you are. So they delete your email.
This is not a limited list as to reasons why they may not be getting a reply.
But I find they are the most common reasons that can be easily corrected.
How can you correct it?
Well, start by doing the opposite of the mistakes listed above.
And then if you want more help on how to write cover letters and job search emails, you will want to invest in my Job Landing Bundle, available for only $97.00.
My 100+ page eManual and 60-minute video training will give you the path to right your mistakes and do the right first steps from the start to land an offer faster.
Get all 7-steps that you need to land the job here: Job Landing Bundle
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.