When I recruited, I found my busiest months were often during the summer and holiday periods—when most job seekers felt hiring activities slowed down during these times. In turn, job seekers curtailed job searching during the summer. On the contrary! Keep your job searching in high gear during the summer. Now if you need a break, take that vacation you need to recharge your body and, ultimately your job search. But if you are in job search mode already, don’t take your foot off the gas simply because the summer rolled around. I say kick it into gear for the following three reasons:
(1) Competition drops significantly since other job seekers think it is slow and stop looking. You are simply up against much less competition during the summer. Those job seekers who stop looking during the summer I feel may also abide by the “buy high, sell low” mentality – they get in the market when everyone is in and get out when they think everyone is out. This herd mentality is bad for investing and bad for job searching. Go the contrarian route and job search during the summer.
(2) The jobs open this time of year are really open! Why is that? Well, it is the summer…hiring managers want to take it easy during the summer, often take a vacation, have their staffs take vacation—they do not want to have to hire unless they really have to hire. If the hire could be put off until the fall, they would do so. Based on that fact then, if the job is open during the summer, it is a bona fide, most-likely-urgent, defined need to be filled. This is why, when I recruited, I had great months during the summer. I submitted qualified candidates to these urgent roles and hires were made faster often during this time.
(3) It is a real job opening. During the busier months, ads might get posted for wish list hires, newly created hires and strategic hires that can often not be as immediate of a need and can have nebulous definition as the team figures out the parameters for the role. When a need is a replacement and was unexpected, it was previously defined and easier to fill. Your professional resume will be more readily received when there is an immediate need. When it is a soft need, that is where ‘the wait’ and ‘indecision’ creep into the hiring process.
Bottom line is there is no real good time to look or not look. Do not time the market. If you need to look for a job, you start to conduct a job search—regardless of what the crowd is doing. If you are not feeling it and do not want to look, then do not look until you are ready. That is all there is to it. Do not succumb to the mental games of timing the job market to increase your success. If you have the right marketing documents, job search strategy and skill sets, you will find the right job for you in any market.
Written by Lisa Rangel, Executive Resume Writer
If you are interested in working with Lisa Rangel, an accomplished executive resume writer, social media profile writer and job search consultant, to achieve the social media exposure and land the interviews you want, sign up for an exploratory call now and learn about the Chameleon Resumes services that can help you land your next role.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.