In July 2011 I attended the B.I.G. Summer Summit, where Mike Michalowicz, author, entrepreneur & marketing expert, was the engaging keynote speaker. He graciously gave the attendees a copy of his book, The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: the-tell-it-like-it-is guide to cleaning up in business, even if you are at the end of your roll, under the premise that we all pay it forward investing the cost of the book with someone or an entity that needs it. I was already intrigued.
While I already donated my $20 to a worthy cause, I am eager to continue the good karma put forth by Mike by telling you how this book can help the job seeker. (Hey Mike—I am feeling the birth of the Toilet Paper Job Seeker Book initiative—as least I think that is what I am feeling).
*Make your own opportunity. A successful job seeker is not spending hours scouring job boards, and a successful entrepreneur is not making any money sitting in front of a computer all day. Stop hiding behind your laptop hoping someone will call you! The successful job seeker is having phone conversations, attending industry events, meeting with contacts, developing new relationships and taking communication risks to unearth and discover opportunity. The successful job seeker sets out to chat with people without expectation of what to find—they just know if they are out there in a targeted manner, opportunity will arise.
*Dress the part—smartly. Dress the part of a successful person—not feeling it? Well, buck up and fake it ‘til you make it. Work out, eat well, wear flattering professional clothing—look like the person you would want to hire. No company will hire someone who appears to not be confident or down-on-their-luck. Budget squeezed until you find a new role? You still need to look like a million bucks—just don’t spend it—or that desperation to pay the bills will come through in an interview. Live inventively within your means to ensure your image and confidence is strongest.
*Be Yourself & Believe in Yourself. Surround yourself with like-minded, successful, positive people. Find a job search partner or group that is energetic so you can help each other stay accountable to producing worthy job search activity. Passion needs to permeate through what you perform each day and having someone to feed off of can help keep that drive consistent. It is also imperative to have a resource that can support you when challenges appear. As entrepreneurs and job seekers, we do not have to go at it alone.
There is just so much in this book that can help the job seeker–even though it is written for entrepreneurs. This list only scratches the surface. The job search in today’s market is a sales process—you, the job seeker, are a sales person and the product is YOU! So heed advice in this book to put a jolt into your activities to get the results you want to see.
Written by Lisa Rangel, Executive Resume Writer
If you are interested in working with Lisa Rangel, an accomplished executive resume writer, social media profile writer and job search consultant, to achieve the social media exposure and land the interviews you want, sign up for an exploratory call now and learn about the Chameleon Resumes services that can help you land your next role.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.