Is your schedule so jammed packed that there isn’t room for something miraculous to happen?
Are you so blinded by focus that you can’t see opportunities that come to you from out of no where?
I have a story for you…
I was in NYC recently for a business meeting. It was a rare day where I allowed extra time to get there and, as a result, figured I would use that time to get a walk in.
Well, about 10 minutes into the walk, I run into a business friend. As we start to chat, she was headed into the restaurant we were standing in front of to have lunch on her own.
She asked me if I wanted to join her.
Now… if I was hyper-scheduled like normal, I would have had to say no.
But I had the time. So I said “YES!”
For the following hour, we caught up on her career, her relationships and her life. It was awesome. And I was able to share some updates, too!
This on-the-fly meeting could have happened as a planned event if we exchanged 7-8 emails and scheduled it out a couple of weeks from now.
But instead, spontaneity was able to rule the day! Yeah!
In this case, I deepened a relationship that day. Who knows what will come of it… if anything. We don’t always have to know what’s coming before we invest time with someone.
But I can tell you nothing would have come from it if I said no and didn’t have the time.
I like to think in possibilities.
And I am glad this was made possible.
So how do you create space for spontaneity?
Go through your schedule.
Is there one thing you can drop indefinitely or postpone for today? Do it then…
And then go do something that puts you out in the world. Go walk. Strike up a convo with a stranger in an elevator (crazy, eh?). Sit at a lunch counter and chat with a fellow patron.
I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
Reply back and tell me how it goes… or if you think I am out of my mind.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.