Whether you are happy in your job or looking for a job, I can assure
you there is one mistake you are probably making that is hurting your career.
It’s one of the most common career mistakes made.
Executives are no exception….and probably the worst offenders of
making this mistake.
It can often be disguised as loyalty, hard work or selflessness.
Which all sounds noble and strokes the ego.
But it may killing your career and your ability to land the new job,
to get promoted or to negotiate a higher salary.
What is the one mistake you are probably making?
–> You don’t put yourself first. <–
You put your company’s needs before your own.
Do they put your needs first before their own?
Most people answer this question with a resounding “NO!”
What about you?
Does your company put your needs before its own?
If so, then stop reading.
You might be one of the few that can do with out reading the rest of
If your company is looking out for you, then you are justified looking
out of your employer.
If you are constantly putting your company’s needs before your own
needs (job searching, networking, professional development, etc), then you are in danger.
Grave career danger.
The company may suspect you are loyal without them having to do much in return for your loyalty.
The company may realize you are comfortable and not going to
leave…so why should they give you a huge raise if you are not going anywhere anyway.
They know you will give up your weekends or answer emails at 10pm at night without them asking.
If you have been doing this in hopes of being rewarded, and it has
worked, then awesome!! Kudos to you.
If you have been doing this and the reward has yet to arrive….what’s
your next plan?
More self-sacrificing of your needs over the company’s needs?
You think more of the same plan will work for you to get promoted,
land the new job or get the raise?
<insert the ‘insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results’ quote>
Or you can take a different approach and put yourself first, starting right now.
* Meet friends at the alumni event to network and don’t work late.
* Sign up for the professional development course that will advance
your skill set and stop working through lunch.
* Update your LinkedIn Profile (and resume) so you can look like the
hot commodity you are.
Don’t let them think you will never leave.
Or they will treat you like you will never leave.
Because you always put them first anyway.
You cannot fault them for thinking that way.
After all, you made it easy for them to think this way.
You can change it.
Start taking care of yourself and put your needs first.
Position yourself to get that new job, promotion or raise and put
And if you are not looking for a job, then commit to putting yourself
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.