A study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology cited by Oxford Academic attempts to address if staying in a bad job is worse for your health than remaining unemployed.
The hypothesis to prove/disprove for their study is:
“There is little evidence on whether becoming re-employed in poor quality work is better for health and well-being than remaining unemployed. We examined associations of job transition with health and chronic stress-related biomarkers among a population-representative cohort of unemployed British adults.”
So they sought to find out.
Their finding in this August 2017 publishing is:
“Formerly unemployed adults who transitioned into poor quality work had greater adverse levels of <health> biomarkers compared with their peers who remained unemployed.”
Are they right?
Is staying in an ill-fitted job better than being unemployed?
Honestly, I have no idea. This study was done in England with about 1300 people in the study.
I have been on both sides (unemployed and in a crappy job) and both have merit.
I know readers can offer opinions based on their own personal experience…
I can imagine some of the reader statements could be something like:
“They have no idea how it feels working for a schmucky CEO who doesn’t care that you have a family or a conscience. I would rather be unemployed. At least I can do what I want.”
“Are you kidding me? I would much rather work in a terrible job than be unemployed. At least I have money coming in…”
So which position is worse?
I don’t think it matters – both situations suck.
It’s like saying is it better to sit on the bow or in the dining room on the Titanic?
Both are going down, so it really doesn’t matter which version of “bad” you have, right?
Bottom line is both scenarios need a better, targeted, achievement-driven resume.
And you are in luck! You can sign up for our No-Cost “How to Design a Powerful Resume to Land Six-Figure Interviews and Get the Offer!” Webinar training & receive the training you need to have a powerful branded resume that will turn the heads of hiring managers & recruiters.
You can grab your seat here: https://chameleonresumes.com/execrestraining
I will cover how to write achievement-based bullets to land 6-figure job interviews.
I will show you how to format your resume summary to catch the eye of the reader and NOT get passed over.
I will demonstrate how to handle promotions, multiple consulting assignments and long-term gaps on your resume so that it will still generate interview calls.
Here is the link the reserve your spot: https://chameleonresumes.com/execrestraining
Sign up and arrive early…
Thanks and be well!
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.