Swinging at Bad Pitches
My neighbor was telling me about her 12-year old son’s struggling little league performance.
She said her son was trying so hard at every turn at bat to get a hit. Not even a home run, but just a hit.
Each time when it was his turn, he would step up to the plate and make his stance ready for the pitch. And with all his might and determination, he step into the swing and… miss the ball.
In 15 games, he hasn’t made a hit. His spirit is shook and she feels terrible for him. As a former little league mom myself, my heart breaks for her and her son.
As I looked for encouraging words to say, she shed some light on what she thinks is the problem.
My friend said about her son, “It’s not like he isn’t trying. I don’t think there is anyone on his team who would disagree with me that he gives it 100% every time he is at bat. No one wants a hit more than him—and I think his whole entire team wants it for him just as badly. But I have tried to advise my son on this one observation… he is swinging at bad pitches. It doesn’t matter how bad you want it if you keep swinging at bad pitches.”
When she said this, a light went off in my head.
I immediately thought of the hundreds, if not thousands of job seekers, who have reached out to me over the years saying they are dejected by making 100, 200 even 400 resume submissions to job postings… super tailored resumes and applications submitted to many postings… only to never get an interview.
And to punctuate the pain even more, they often receive a “Thanks, but no thanks” email within 5-6 minutes of submitting that resume that took two hours to customize before sending.
These job seekers want the interview bad.
They are putting in the leg work they are told is needed to land a job.
They give it 210% every time they are making a submission.
But they still have a zero batting average because they are using the wrong job search tactic for them…
… they are swinging at bad pitches.
Or at least the wrong pitches for them.
So many job seekers are simply looking for their next job the wrong way.
They are too dependent on job boards.
They are waiting for recruiters to call.
They think a perfectly written resume or profile alone will magically land interviews in their lap.
And these bad pitch job search swings leave them interview-less.
To land interviews, you need to look for a job the most effective way.
And the most effective way is NOT on job boards.
The most effective way is to reach out to people directly. People you know and people you don’t know.
And in my 7 Job Landing Steps to Land Your Ideal Job eBook will show you what to do to tap your network, grow your network, ask your network for direction and land interviews for great jobs.
Here is the link:
Start hitting the right pitches and knock it out of the park.
Lisa Rangel – Executive Resume Writing Services
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every resume needs in 2023 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6 or 7-figure role faster.