We have many old, beautiful trees throughout my town.
My town is nicknamed “The Borough of Trees” on the welcome sign entering the town since we have so many massive, shade-bearing trees.
The long, gnarled tree roots abound. These trees grow in such volume and density that they can puncture pipes and grow within a home’s sewage pipes.
Eventually, the infesting roots clog the pipes and cause an sewage emergency.
After a couple of unfortunate incidents, we started scheduling the plumber every six months to snake the drains to proactively rid of the pervasive roots and keep things moving properly.
This avoided any further incidents.
Given a choice, and if you had to pick one, would you prefer to have sewer maintenance or a sewer emergency in your home?
Hmmm….let me see.
A. Schedule regular maintenance to avoid an emergency…
B. Deal with the less frequent, but more damaging, sewage emergency from time-to-time?
I’m thinking you will pick A for your home, right?
I mean, who would voluntarily want to put themselves in a unexpected, traumatizing situation every couple of years jeopardizing the condition of their largest asset by not scheduling regular maintenance?
Well, people may choose to proactively preserve their homes, but so often they are putting their executive careers, their main source of income, in these explosive situations.
No regular maintenance of their professional network.
No regular upkeep of their wins and achievements.
No regular proactive positioning of themselves or their team for advancement.
No regular personal branding efforts offline and online.
No regular savings for a financial safety net to cover a few months expenses.
No admittance that it can happen to them.
And then, BOOM, the proverbial crap hits the fan at the office and we have an executive career in a sewage emergency.
And they are knee-deep in what was totally avoidable.
Let’s be clear… the twisty roots were most definitely going to go through the pipes.
No doubt about it.
Similarly corporate transitions are going to happen. Companies will have M&A activity, layoffs and relocations.
What is avoidable is being unprepared for it – wading through the emotional garbage and greater collateral damage from failing to face the inevitable and being proactive.
Daily Career Tips
Landing your next job doesn't have to be an overwhelming, frustrating or time-sucking task. Get daily tips on how to find the position you deserve, delivered right to your inbox:
- The #1 addition every post-covid resume needs in 2021 and beyond.
- How to get prepared for a job change even if you like the job you have.
- How to handle a chaotic job market and where to focus your job-seeking efforts (hint, it’s not the job boards).
- Where to find great jobs without submitting 500 meaningless job applications.
- How to slice through the Applicant Tracking System B.S. and land a 6- figure role you love.
- How to track down the “unpublished job market” and have your pick of the best jobs out there.
- How to write a resume that will hit hiring managers right between the eyes and have them scrambling to book your interview.
- How to get up to speed with your online branding and write a LinkedIn profile that positions you as the #1 expert in your field.
- How to approach job seeking with the “human touch” so you can keep the bots at bay.
- And finally, access to our 4-stage META Job Landing system we’ve used with thousands of job seekers just like you.
Lisa Rangel and The Chameleon Team are the only executive resume writing, LinkedIn profile development, and job landing consultancy who has been hired by LinkedIn and recognized by Forbes. Our 4-Stage META Job Landing System stems from decades of corporate and executive recruiting experience to position you to land your next 6-figure role faster.